Consumers have the right to information about
charitable organizations that will help them make better, more informed
charitable-giving decisions. You may ask the solicitor:
- The official name of the registered charitable
organization and their addresses.
- If the charitable organizations are or are
not registered with the Office of the Kansas Secretary of State
(a requirement to solicit money in Kansas).
- For an accurate description of the charitable
- How the charitable organization plans to
use the donated resources.
- Financial information about charitable organizations
such as financial statements and IRS
- Ask the professional solicitor questions
about the operations and activities of the charitable organization.
- Ask the professional solicitor for information
about the organization.
- Ask the professional solicitor what
the solicitor's business relationship is to the organization.
- Example: If a consumer is contacted by
a professional solicitor, the consumer may ask what percentage
of funds raised by the fundraiser actually are given to the
charitable organization. (The contract between a charitable
organization and the professional fundraiser must set forth
the percentage the fundraiser is paid and the percentage of
money that goes to the charity).
- Request that the consumer's name be removed
from any contact list maintained by the professional fundraiser
and/or by the organization the fundraiser represents.
Many charitable organizations hire fundraisers
to help the charity raise money and to represent its organization.
Fundraisers who are paid are called professional fundraisers. The
professional fundraisers may hire solicitors. Both the professional
fundraisers and the solicitors are required to register with the
Office of the Secretary of State. All solicitations by professional
fundraisers and solicitors are required to disclose (according to
- The name, address, and telephone number of the charitable organization
- The registration number for the charitable organization
- If the solicitation is made by a professional solicitor, the registration number, and
- An annual financial report for the preceding fiscal year is on file with the Office of the Secretary of State